Christmas in Colombia

We were able to find another spot that is not in the same district where they said we needed permission and we went there the other night and no one hassled us. We are still in the process of getting permission for our other spot as well. On the drive down town we always go over these railroad tracks where tuns of homeless people live.
They have made it like a village and have tarps draped along the wall. When you look down the tracks at night, you just see shadows wandering up and down, like phantoms, hungry people trying to survive. The other night on our way to perform, we stopped there and gave them all some food packets we had made up and some extra clothes we had. Obviously it would be expensive to feed so many people but it was cool, we asked a bakery on our corner if they had extra bread and they gave us a tun! It's amazing  how far you can get if you just ask. A grocery store donated a bunch of candy, I had brought a bunch of beef jerky I got on sale from the States and fruit is really cheep so we were able to make a bunch of bags up. The people on the tracks were so respectful and grateful. They walk the streets looking through the trash trying to find something edible. They are so hungry they dive into the food. Because we may not be hungry, it's easy to forget how many people are.

Most of the homeless here actually are not lazy, and since they can't find jobs they have come up with creative ways to make a few coins. For example, they will sweep the streets at cross walks hoping someone appreciates it, they will direct the traffic at places where its jammed up (this is actually really helpful), they will juggle or perform something at the stop lights (except I'm not sure how smart it is to breathe fire when there is fuel all over the street..not good), they wash windshields, carry things for you and do anything in hope of getting a coin or so.
A number of the homeless that live down town I have come to know quit well and see them all the time. They know me by name or a nickname they have given me and know that I always have bread or cookies in my back pack. They just come up to me, greet me and wait and this makes me happy. I saw this older guy yesterday, named Carlos, who I had not seen in a long time, and he was wearing the Barcelona jersey I gave him a year ago. The other day this one guy who is homeless and also with down syndrome, comes up to me, takes my hand and starts pulling me telling me to come with him. He takes me to a fruit seller that he knew and explains to me he just wanted to prove to this seller that I was his friend. Some people who follow certain religions define being effective as converting others to their beliefs, or define their ministry by how many souls they, "get saved", but for me, a homeless man knowing I'll take care of him, is being effective. I cannot save a soul, or make someone think they way I think, I can however sow seeds and try to give others hope and truth. I can do as my Master said and remember the poor, the orphan, the prisoner and the widow. As Jesus said, "Whatever you do for the least of My brothers, you do for Me..."

My brothers and sisters and I got out last night to a park and saw some cool Christmas lights. I always have fun goofing off and hanging out with my best friends. We always end up in some kind of war like game or competition and the girls have to call it off before the boys get out of control.  Everything becomes a competition, a race or a new dance move. We laugh a lot and get each other in and out of trouble all the time.
We have to practice a lot to put together the dance choreography in our presentation  and it is a lot of work! None of us are actually dancers, we had some classes, taught ourselves  and just invent moves and routines.  We have each learned different talents to add to our performance like juggling, magic stilts ecs. Sometimes we are practicing so many things at the same time that I imagine we look quit strange to people and they probably think we are  one crazy circus. My brother Abraham is walking around on the stilts, my sister Sarah is talking to herself trying out a new magic routine, Elizabeth is practicing poi, I’m practicing Irish step dance moves (so a lot of pounding),  David is practicing with a ninja sword (not kidding) and Joshua is creating dance moves with headphones on. Wait till we start breaking boards with Tae Kwon Do kicks or practicing our fire routines. Yeah, I understand the weird looks from the old lady with the white poodle, “No mam, there is no chance your dog can catch on fire…No Mam, we are not a risk to society…”
A few years ago my brother Abraham made himself stilts and learned how to walk on them. We deal with such huge crowds it's cool to get above everybody. Since seeing him do it, I wanted to learn as well and so started learning. When I first stood on them it seemed impossible to get my balance and like no way I could let go of the wall. But by the second day, I was walking a bit on my own.  
And now I’m starting to get some confidence. If my next post is from a hospital you'll know the stilts didn't workout. Just kidding but seriously, practice is an amazing thing really. We can learn! If there is something you always wanted to learn or try, maybe a new language or musical instrument,  go for it! It might be hard in the start but stick with it and you will get it.