Working in Brazilian Prisons with children and the homeless - March/June 2023

 Hello you guys! 

I pray you are all doing ok and holding strong! I know that life can be so tough sometimes and every day we face different problems and struggles ;storms on the outside and storms in the inside. But you are not alone. We all suffer and feel sad and just irrelevant at times. Take heart ok! Our Father is so good and close. He sees you. You matter so much to Him. You are not a face lost in the crowd of humanity. You are you and there is only one you. No one else can bring to the world what you can with your creativity, with the experience you have from personal things you have been through, or your kindness and the way you channel it. So when it seems at times that everything is a fight, fight back because what you have, could be exactly what someone else needs.



I am recovering from my accident and getting stronger little by little. I still have a good deal of pain in my neck and at times shooting in my head where the 40 stitches were. But my joy of being alive and moving just overwhelms any pain or issues by far. 
I got a follow up Xray a few weeks ago. Here in Brazil it was complicated for them to take it with a US doctors order and they needed some seal but finally figured it out :)  And then, when I finally go to get it, first the power of the whole block goes out each time she tries to take an Xray, and then they come out blurry and I explain how to do it better : ) Got to love the third world. But we finally got them and my doctor said everything is healing really good! 



I know it can sound so basic to say after a near death experience that you cherish life. But in the essence, I have a whole new perspective on so much, and have seen how near God is. Right there. A whisper away. Here in Brazil when someone survives a near death experience they call it “Renacer”. Re-born. It’s funny how many things I will be like, “It’s the first time I did that!” since my accident; like riding a bike, or sleeping on my stomach, or looking up at the sky, or bull riding… No, just kidding, not that;). But just little things, like breathing through my nose and taking a long breath. It was so scary not being able to right after my accident as the shock caused the nasal passage to close I guess. Or even catching the football the other day at a park with my brother. Going from not moving at all and so fragile, I know am just so grateful for each small thing. 

Imagine if we could be in that place of gratitude all the time? Imagine if we could all cherish little moments like they were the first, or last? How special a day would be. How much things that bother us or bum us out would shrink and fade. How much more our loved ones would mean to us and we would not take for granted little moments. Gratitude directly results in joy. 



I actually completed a 21k race here (13mile). Very slow, a tiny notch above a waddle, but I was so happy to be able to and wanted to celebrate. In fact, I was so slow that their were parts of the race I saw no other runners, and this was a 30,000 runner event! I get to a long tunnel and its just me in there. But I loved  it:) 

Ran the first half with my dad who also just recovered from a serious surgery so it was special. After the race, the organisers had heard about my story (I wore the neck brace), and asked me on stage to share with the runners. It was a special moment,. 



Been working in a lot of prisons here in Brazil. Some that are just in the middle of nowhere.  Like this one we did the other day, 4 hours down this terrible, one lane, no shoulder road with endless bumps, I think like 3,000 per square inch but I lost count:):) 


However it was so worth every mile. We were able to reach a lot of suffering men with the hope found in the Father and His Son Jesus. It is really complicated here to get authorized to enter the prisons due to a serious international occurrence years ago. But with a lot of work, time and prayer we have gained a partnership with the government and access all the prisons. At times reaching crowds of over 500 prisoners at a time.

They have published many articles about our work which result in requests from other prisons at cities all across Brazil. One request we just received came from a city deep in the Amazon. There is a prison there with over 5000 men in it. The mayor asked us to please come. It doesn't seem like we can afford to travel there at this time, but hopefully in the future we will be able to make it there. Just so much suffering. 





The conditions the incaracarted men and women face are just tragic. The animals in the zoo have more space, more food and are treated better. I often meet people that don't understand why I dedicate so much time and my  money to work with those in prison. Many even judge me and say cruel things. The thinking of "they get what they deserve" is common and of course I understand. I work with the victims of the crimes as well as the criminals. So much hurt and pain caused to families so I get both sides and am not saying all those locked up are "poor victims". Many have caused tragic, irreparable hurt and sadness.  Many do not want to change and choose what they choose. I get that. But I ask us to think a bit more about our own humanity.


This prison in Northern Brazil is so over crowded the men are "homeless"
inside the walls with only a tarp for shelter.




We are all broken and make mistakes and do or did things that we regret. Remember your youth, maybe a crazy time when you had a few too many and almost drove, or got real angry where you could have shoved someone. Maybe our mistakes did not result in serious consequences... but they could have. I remember one time years ago I was on a long trip on a motorcycle. It was across the desert on my way back to Vegas so just endless nothing. I was so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open and almost dozed off. I pulled over but what about someone who falls asleep and causes an accident? Irresponsible and negligent? Definitely, but I understand how that could happen. 

After everything I went through with my accident and rescue on the mountain (See last post, "Mercy on the Mountain"), I see more than ever how that "One wrong step" can flip our life upside down and cause serious devastation to us and those around us. I was one of those who would watch some surviver story about a guy getting lost or something and be thinking, "wow, why wouldn't the guy have done this or that..."? And then when it's you who should have done "this or that", you want people to understand. 


So many of those in prison grew up thrown around in the broken foster care system. So many never had a father figure. Many minorities suffer more because maybe they cannot afford a lawyer. Often prosecutors get promoted for the amount of "criminals" they send away and for the length of years they put them in prison for. It is down right wrong. I have met so many men that have been incarcerated for decades for a crime the committed at 15 or 16! 

So all I ask is that we each just leave the door open for understanding and not be quick to judge when there are a million details to a million stories that we don't know.  Everyone everywhere deserves a second chance. Consider Jesus, who loved us to the utmost degree when we do not deserve it. If He could call us "brother", how much more us to each other (Her.2:11)! Jesus taught that there is no "better" (Mt.5:21). We are all the same in His eyes and all need compassion. 


Performance in a prison north of Sao Paulo BZ.

Doing a magic act inside a prison. 

Along with prisons, I have been working on the streets and favelas. Tragic how even since last time we were here, the homelessness has increased so much. Covid and everything shutting down did so much damage. We often take food to the center and feed the hungry. Sao Paulo is the 4th largest city in the world at over 20 million, so every where all the time it is just packed. The metro, city center, trains, squares and parks. We are constantly sharing God’s love with the people 


I am just getting over the flu that hit us all hard for a while. IT is almost winter here so getting cooler with heavy rain often. Tough living in close quarters because one gets sick and we all do:( I still feel pretty bad as I think since I am still recovering from my injury my immune system is probably down. I have also been dealing with some bad headaches and dizziness, but His mercy carries me. 


Beautiful person I met down town named Daniel. He had actually been run over by a train that took off half his body and yet had the most upbeat, positive attitude! Sure gives you a massive dose of perspective as far as anything I would have to complain about! 


We visited this juvenile detention center last week for young teens, 14 to 17. We call them the Lost Boys of Brazil. Just damaged, hurt kids starving for love, probably yelled at all their life, most with no father. I am learning that bringing the law, in any form as in, “you have to change your ways”, “you have to stop this and start this", just pushes people away like these kids. It causes them to lock down. They have heard they need to change a thousand times and know it. But to love the heck out of them, make them laugh, play games, do magic, and then through that share Jesus, this is how I am able to effectively reach them. Truly love never fails! 

When we talk about forgiveness and slowly, clearly explain the Gospel, why Jesus came you can see the light that comes on their eyes. Understanding these things for the first time. 

Most of these teens had never read the bible, and we had one to give each of them, along with milk and cookies:)  I am working to reach the unreachable, and learn how to be all things to all men. Not calling them up, or holding a standard, but coming down to where they are. No lines. No better. Just what Jesus did. So much to learn. 


Womens prison in Curritiba BZ.


Last month we took a trip to a city 6 hours south called Curritiba. The government there asked us to work in a prison complex.  Just the guards at these prisons were enough of a story! At first they were so against us. With an attitude that we were just one big hassle. “What in the world is some theatrical group going to do for these hard core prisoners” this one guard actually told us those exact words outright before everything. He was against us being there and all the hassle we created for them. 

Probably twenty or so fully dressed in battle gear military police with shades on and the ultimate badass look stood ready, staring us down. The silence was deafening. You could hear a pin drop. Then by Gods mercy, as we start the air shifts. Music fills the air. The prisoners start laughing or crying at different parts in our show and opening up.  

We had 400 men in front of us and the guards are watching these guys change right here through our show.  Act after act word after word dance after dance slowly the walls fell. The ice melts.  At the end of our show, each of those same hard guards come up to thank and bless us. That guard who was originally against us, especially was blown away. Moved to tears said he was completely changed not just about us but in his heart towards Jesus. Many guys asked for bibles.  So much isolated pain.  People were brought to their inner brokenness and the hope found in our Father who always gives us a second chance. Like the prodigal son, no matter how far we run away, the Father runs out to meet us! Lk.15

This same scenario repeated at other prisons over the next several days. There was a women’s prison we went to that just broke your heart. They treated the women there so badly and they were suffering in just terrible conditions. Like cages, terrible food, way over crowded. Had a beautiful time with them. The warden,  put us right in the center of the prison with 300 women in front of us and many others seeing from a wall.



Yesterday I was talking in a big prison, had a crowd of around 300 men it was such a blessing. AS I am talking and sharing about my accident and rescue, this young guys stands up and shows me he has scars in the same place I do. He got shot by a gang through his neck, the bullet broke his spine but he actually lived! He had plates in his neck and no movement but it was a beautiful moment just connecting on the grounds of being broken. 

Then other guys all opened up telling me their stories. Amazing how our scars, can be like a special tool to reach into the lives of others. Our story for His glory.  We can use our suffering. We can work to flip it it and steal from it what could benefit someone else. Think about how Jesus Himself showed His scars to cause another to believe.



We sometimes work with this huge group here called "Hamburgada" Hamburger in Portuguese. You can check it out here (https://www.hamburgadadobem.com.br)
But they do huge events for both the homeless, and under privileged children. We join with them and put on a big performance for everyone and share Gods love through it. For the homeless, they will set up "stores" of used clothes that we round up and get donated the weeks before. The homeless get to walk around and pick out what they want and feel special. Then everyone gets a grilled burger. For the children events, its lots of games, jumpy things, activities and fun and..... loads of chaos!! 

Yesterday we did an event for 1000 children!! Yes, it was insane:) We walk into the gym and it is so loud with kids screaming and laughing and running into you covered in face paint!. The acoustics and echo in the building were a nightmare and just complete chaos. And now we are supposed to get them all to sit down and pay attention :)!! My brother jokes,,, "Nothing in life could prepare me for this": ) :) But we figured it out, got some order and had a fantastic event. Shared beautiful things and left seeds in their hearts that they matter, the have a Father who hears them. I had a special moment when I had them all say "Jesus" together, the one name that will always help them. Many were orphans, disabled and special needs. I just love children and it was a beautiful times. My doctor would probably yell at me for picking up a few little ones, but I sort of forgot when they all ask for hugs :).  




 


Think about how Jesus walked in such ordinary fashion. Always dealing with individuals, real people facing real problems. Just one woman here and a soldier there, a cousin named Lazurus, and a tax collector in the market, and some guys on a boat. He walked in our shoes, on our earth and dealt with all our problems. He was hungry, tired, laughed, cried. 

See Jesus as your Brother my friend. He is personal. He deals with each of us personally and meets us where we are at in life. He can sculpt our suffering into something special. God really loves you more that you can imagine. He is for you. He hears you. You are not alone. 


Bye for now, love ya, 

Ruth Mercy 


“For thus says the high and exalted One…I dwell with the lowly and contrite of heart” (Is.57:12).