Odds and Ends from the Library of my Mind

 Odds and Ends from the Library of my Mind:

Barking Thoughts:

When covid hit and flights canceled, we ended up stuck in Brazil for a while. The normally mobbed city of Sao Paulo became a ghost town. The streets were eerily empty it was crazy. I would get out real early to run and stay in shape. Wanted to be safe, but also had to get out and move for my own health. Sometimes I would just make laps around this two mile this block so I was not out too far. 

At a certain house, there was a massive Rottweiler dog that would go nuts when I ran by and scare the heck out of me. The first time I think I jumped five feet (who says white girls can’t jump?). But the dog was well behind a huge secure fence, so though it growled and drooled, it couldn’t touch me. Now here is the dumb part, the next time I ran by, lost in thought, I again jumped when the SAME dog barked in the SAME place. Until I finally remembered the house, knew it was coming, and ignored the stupid thing. 


Thoughts are just like that. Barking dogs behind fences. They can’t hurt us at all, but the way we respond to them can. Memories, hurts, and regrets can “bark” so loud and fill us with a fear so real, we react. But they’re not real. They are just invisible thoughts. So you got to be ready dude. Calculate. After you “jump”, ignore it. Set it aside. “Thinking it through” doesn’t change anything. After a while, it will lose its power and stop “barking”. Paul said “We demolish arguments … we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2Cor.10:5


This is something I do when I have a thought tormenting. I put it in a “box” on a “shelf” in my mind. It’s 2:00 am, and I  just want to sleep, so I take the thought and put it in the imaginary “box” and close it. I don’t have to resolve it that second, it will be there in the morning. If I want to take it out and get depressed again I can, but for now, I’ll put it away. Then the next night, put that dark thought in the box at 1:00 am instead, then maybe before you go to bed. Bit by bit you will find that the thoughts you put in this box, disappear. “Resist the devil and he will flee (Jm.4:7)” So in this case, think INSIDE the box:) 


Bonus stupid dog story with no point: 

We finally hit our beds in a cheap, third world motel in Colombia after a long drive and two prisons. Craving sleep, we suddenly hear this sound that is like a back firing lawn mower, mixed with a tiger on red bull mixed with a demon. We look in the courtyard and there is this massive german shepherd going nuts. The lady says she has no idea how to make it stop but not to worry, it only barks when a plane flies over. Oh, well that’s good, we only happen to be a mile from the international airport lady!! And to top it off, the dogs name was Echo:) not kidding.




One Way Love: 

When you are having a hard time dealing with someone, maybe a neighbor, boss, family member, try this. 

Because the way we humans are, you can assume, that no matter how bad you got it, whoever you are talking to, thinks they have it worse. Probably not the reality, but it is their reality. So if you can pre-think, what they are going to think, and out-think them, you can get a long way in helping them fix things. Meet their self-pity. Bare with them but also interject reality. It’s called preemptive compassion. Summon 10 seconds of understanding to meet them with kindness instead of irritation, and you will cause a ripple effect of lasting change. 

Just one sincere, “Are you doing ok today?” or, “I’m really sorry about the other day, totally my fault (whether it is or isn’t)”. Use humor, make them laugh. Use creativity. Listen. Let stuff go. This kind of intelligent love can dissolve tension and create an edifying atmosphere. It can save a marriage, rebuild a broken bond, turn an enemy into a friend, and heal deep wounds. 

You care with character. I call it, “One way love” You give, expecting nothing in return and fully aware they don’t deserve it but you are ok with that because you are just that big. You can travel a thousand miles, by simply going one “extra mile”. An effort to give no reason. To help someone work through something. To buy someone you don’t even know some little special thing.  To write a little something, a rap, a poem for someone in your family. 

One way love. You to them. This is what Jesus did. He loved us despite us. He said to give “Expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great and you will be sons of the Most High” (Lk.6:35). 




The Gift I gave Myself:

I toss and turn throughout the night 

and wish that things would be all right.

My heart too heavy for me to lift, 

Until I gave myself a precious gift. 

As if wrapped in a box and tied with a bow, 

Was a gift more special than I could know.

Here in my hands was the key to live,

So I gave myself the gift called, “Forgive”. 

Hurtful moments of time gone by, 

That always left me asking “why”? 

Could finally be resolved at last, 

and fade away to distant past. 

Who cares about the “when” or “why”, 

As my only life is going by.

Does it really matter who was right or wrong, 

If I could heal the wound that’s bled so long? 

I’d rather say what needs to be said, 

then regret it all on my death bed. 

So I decided I would live,

and gave myself the gift called “Forgive”.