If you fight you might loose, but if you don't fight you've already lost.

If you fight you might loose, but if you don't fight you've already lost. 


(This quote was written by a prisoner in a book that we pass around for them to express themselves and write their names in)



On our way to Brazil we spent time in the Argentinean cities of Cordoba and Rosario, working on the streets and in the prisons. Both cities were very poor and dangerous. For some reason I had pictured Cordoba being a some what tourist, uppity type place, but it was the exact opposite.  Many of the buildings were run down, abandoned and looked like they were condemned. The train station was a wreck and the number of homeless and handicapped on the streets was staggering.  The need was very great and we were able to help a lot of people. We worked in the largest prison in Cordoba, around 6,000 men and performed in each section of the prison. 


It was a very large prison. Here you can see the guard towers stretching across the sky. 
When I was online looking up contact numbers for the prison, I came across an article about it that said one of the worst problems in this particular prison were the amount of rats that came in from a near by trash dump. I didn't think much of it and was just looking for phone numbers so we could receive authorization to get in. However, as we were coming in and out of the prison, guess what we saw lots of? Very big rats. As if prison is not horrible enough, I can't imagine being trapped in a cell and have rats coming all around. 


From dawn to dusk we were inside the walls.
In each section of the prison they had a theater room where we performed. The stages were small and we had to tighten up our routines, but the whole experience  was amazing. I do a magic routine where I use a "seed" (just imaginary by pinching my fingers) to make flowers grow out of nothing. My brother wears a cool mask (like a mimes mask but not creepy) and has a bag of "seeds". He goes in and out of the audience letting them take a seed and put it into my empty bag that I then pull a flower out of. We went throughout the seats and up and down on stage, it was so cool to see their amazement and wonder. Sometimes it can seem so hard to change things and to get from where we are to where we want to be. Faith is the seed that brings something, out of nothing and causes new life to grow from emptiness. One seed of hope, can change a life. 


On the stage.
We were able to project video behind us which makes the performance really special. 


At the end when we are packing up and saying goodbye, many of the men are in tears and just so very grateful. The director came up to us at the end and told us he just could not believe his eyes. He said we had just performed for one of the worst groups of prisoners and he was amazed we were able to completely captivate their attention. In his 20 years of working here, he had never seen this happen. He said that we created a "climate" in which they were able to let down their guard, be like children and listen to what we were saying. A "climate" is an interesting word to use, but is very accurate. By using things like humor, magic and dance, we allow them to enjoy themselves and let their guard down and then with that open door, we put one seed inside...maybe two.  
We walked down a long hall where the prisoners were baking fresh bread for the rest of the prisoners. They gave us some to eat for our long drive home and it was delicious all though we each felt "full" on the "food" of doing the Fathers will (Jn.4:34). 


The prisoners were baking bread and gave us some fresh loaves. For every three days they work, they reduce their sentence by one day.

Down town in the city center we had large crowds and people seemed stunned that we were doing a quality show for them and not asking for money. There are so many "churches" invading South America that have one motive, money. They take advantage of anyone and everyone in the name of God and "tithing". The "tithe" God requires is all your heart, soul, strength and mind. To remember the poor, feed the hungry and care for those in need. Because of our message that one does not find salvation by going to a building, or paying a pastor, we have faced much opposition and even physical attack from such "churches". Salvation is only found by individual study of the Scriptures and coming to know the living Jesus.

My sisters and I performing down town Cordoba.
I do an Irish style dance (our family heritage is Irish) where I start playing my tin whistle. People come around me (my brothers and sisters in capes), shove into me and I drop my flute. It shatters (sound effect) and I am devastated. I choose to pick up the pieces and give my flute to the Father who fixes it and allows me to play a new song. I then tap Irish step-dance at the climax. (Probably sounds lame summed up like that, but is actually pretty theatrical and the crowds really get it.) 



Our lives are like a flute and we each play a different song. Sometimes things happen that we never except and can shatter our "flute". It might be a divorce, sickness, tragic past or any number of things we face in life. Years ago I severely broke my leg and had a rod and eight screw put in. I spent a lot of time in a wheel chair and the doctors thought I would never walk normal again. I did not listen to any voices but trusted my life to the Father and so today, I dance (I think I have written my story in a past post and so will not go into it all now). It is our choice what we do after we are "shattered". Self pity will ruin us. Pride will leave us bitter. Regret will steal our future and blaming God will leave us with no hope. Humility is the door that can bring us to a beautiful place, because God honors, and gives grace to the lowly. He dwells with the broken (1Pet.5:5/Is.57:15). 



To humble yourself costs nothing in your wallet, but everything in your heart. It will take you to places you never thought you would go.  It is so “easy” yet so hard. It’s as close to you as your lips but as far as you so choose(Rm.10:9). It is the move from one life into another. It is the way down that takes you directly up. Humility can move you from a place of being ruled by your suffering, to the place from which you can rule.




A very sad and scary thing happen to my youngest brother David. He was riding a bike down the main street on a bright sunny afternoon, and stopped to take a picture. A guy came out of nowhere and started grabbing his bike from him. Two other guys came and my brother thought they were going to help but they started attacking him, punched him in the face and stole the bike and his phone. He found someone to call the cops and call us and we rushed out to where he was. He had a black eye and was very shaken up. It made me cry to see what happen to my little brother who is always so strong and careful.  We later talked to a prison guard who told us that we should just be so grateful that David was not hurt more severe or shot. He said the life expectancy is 35 in that area. I thank my the Father for keeping my brother safe from greater harm and sending His angels to protect Him. 

There was an area where all the houses were like this and all the people were very desperate. 
All the way down the train tracks as far as you could see, was a maze of shacks, huts and wandering people. The vibe was very dangerous and even the cops were afraid to go in there to look for the bike. 



The prisons in Rosario were in absolutely horrible condition and over 100 years old. The day we visited it was freezing. I mean the wind chill brought the temperature into the teens. But despite this lovely weather, the prisoners wanted to come outside to the spot where we performed and did not want to leave. In consideration of them we just kept our show short and then asked them if they wanted to go back inside. They all said no way, they were fine and asked us to do more. I was able to give them each an aluminum survival blanket that someone had donated to me. They all erupted in applause when they understood what they were and that they would bring them some relief from the cold. It was the perfect thing to give them and I was so grateful to have enough to give them each one. 


They call the prisons in Rosario "concentration camps" because the are so bad and suffer so much abuse. 


Life is not a game, it is a battle. Fighting is dangerous, but not fighting is more dangerous and if we don't fight, then we have already lost. I have seen much death throughout the years of my travels. I have talked to people on the streets one day, and then looked for them later to find that they have died. I have seen men killed both by physical things and by the slow silent killer called "despair". We have to fight or we will be defeated. Fight routine. Fight apathy and indifference. Fight to care and not let your heart grow cold.  We are fragile. One second something can take us from this earth and steal our last breath without our permission. You do not know who you touch today that might not be here tomorrow. Don't take your heart beat for granted. Don't let your minuets rush by without stealing a moment. God destined a specific day for us to seek Him. He made it, set it aside and named it, "Today" (Heb.3:15).  Today is a gift. Today is precious so seize Today, before it becomes yesterday.  

May God bless you, may the road rise up to meet you and the Son shine warm upon your face.....
This was a painted under an overpass in Cordoba and in front of it to young boys slept just like in the picture.  Under some of the bridges there a number of people living and whole "house" built out of sheets, cardboard and whatever else they can find. We should think twice before we complain about something, don't you think?